Welcome post!

Welcome to the page of a photographer who did not become a professional

Hello! My name is Karyna I am 19 years old and I want to tell you about my art in this blog


I am currently studying Media and Communications at De Montfort University. In this blog I will explore new projects which are related to the media. In particular, I would like to explore journalism and photojournalism more. So, I will be happy to share with you the process and results of my work


In the first post, I want to tell about myself from the side of my experience in photography. I called this post "The photographer who didn't become a professional" because today photography remains a personal hobby for me. However, I am happy to share it with you

Well, let's start! 

At the age of 13 I found a camera of my pares and decided to take it out into the garden and take some pictures 

At first I liked taking pictures of flowers and nature



Then I fell in love with the idea that my camera was capturing a moment that would never happen again.  At that time, I liked to watch the works
Annie Leibovitz. Because she skillfully captured and conveyed the mood of the photo and simply showed complex emotions. I think it is quite difficult to convey the emotional side of photography professionally.

Annie Leibovitz

 (Morrisroe, 2021) "The 341 images in the book bear the hallmarks of the Leibovitz style — masterly use of color, theatrical staging, artful interplay between artificial and natural light — but the best of them live up to the book’s title. They are enchanting, wrapped in a visual narrative that showcases her gifts as a powerful storyteller."

Natalia Vodianova, Paris, 2003

Whoopi Goldberg, Berkeley, California, 1984


Inspired by some works of Annie Leibolitz as well as watching photographers from my city I decided to photograph few of my friends and I released that liked to catch people's emotions, take photos in different styles I think that's how I was looking for what suits me

At the age of 15 I received money for a photoshoot for the first time, but I did not like the result. To be honest, it seemed to me too boring and not natural. I thought there no real emotions only a game

I tried to do a few more shootings of banquets, celebrations or studio formats but I did not feel satisfied with the process and the result


At that time along with the orders I also did free shootings in which I came up with the idea, the theme, I chose the main character myself and in the end I was incredibly happy with the result



In the spring of 2023 when I was 19 I felt that I was missing something quite important. On the advice of a friend, I decided to go to several exhibitions and museums to get inspired. I was in a photography gallery in Soho in London, where I saw an exhibition of women photographers of the 20th century. I really liked the feeling I got, so I bought a book about women photographers of the 20th century. I became interested in looking at the views, experiences, thoughts and expression of these feelings and thoughts through photography from those who mastered it. In the book, I get know about Helen Levitt and Gita Lenz

Helen Levitt (The Photographers’ Gallery,2021) "One of the early pioneers of colour street photography, Levitt was one of the first photographers to exhibit her colour work in 1974. In 1959 after receiving a Guggenheim grant to shoot the streets of New York City, Levitt visited many of the same locations she had captured in the beginnings of her career, recreating these scenes in richly coloured dye-transfer prints. This exhibition presents a broad selection of Levitt’s colour photographs, showcasing the development of a new pictorial language in her work."

Helen Levitt photowork

Helen Levitt photowork

Helen Levitt photowork

Gita Lenz (Places journal,2011) "Early on she described herself as a Sunday photographer. But to judge from the quality of the prints she was making by the late ’40s, her development was rapid, and by the ’50s Gita was working professionally. In 1951 her work was included in the exhibition, Abstraction in Photography, curated by Edward Steichen at the Museum of Modern Art. The first major exhibition of Gita’s work was in a three-person show at the Brooklyn Museum of Art in 1952. Soon after, in 1955, Edward Steichen included her work in MoMA’s landmark exhibition, The Family of Man." 

Gita Lenz: New York Views

Gita Lenz: New York Views

Gita Lenz: New York Views

Inspired by the work of these and other photographers, I decided to get my camera out again and hit the streets of London. To be honest, I was uncomfortable and a little scared at first, but I managed to calm down and just take pictures of what I thought were beautiful people, food, places and events. I felt incredibly happy, as if it had given me a new lease of life





I was glad to tell you a part of myself

Subscribe to my blog if you are interested in hearing more about me!


See you soon, 

Karyna 


References

Morrisroe, P. (2021). Annie Leibovitz, the Un-Fashion Photographer. The New York Times. [online] 4 Nov. Available at: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/04/arts/design/annie-leibovitz-wonderland.html [Accessed 29 Oct. 2023].

Stettinius, G. (2011). Gita Lenz: New York Views. [online] https://placesjournal.org. Available at: https://placesjournal.org/article/gita-lenz-new-york-views/?cn-reloaded=1 [Accessed 29 Oct. 2023].

thephotographersgallery.org.uk. (2021). Helen Levitt: in the Street | the Photographers Gallery. [online] Available at: https://thephotographersgallery.org.uk/whats-on/helen-levitt-retrospective [Accessed 29 Oct. 2023].



Comments

  1. What an interesting journey you have been on already, it's a pleasure to welcome you to the course and to follow your progress.
    Your images are really nice and you seem to have the 'eye' required for great photography. People willing to pay you to take photos is a good sign that you're on the right track!
    I'd be interested to know of your influences. Are there photographers that you follow online or have seen previously that you enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karina those photographs are really great! You have got a really good eye in my opinion. I hope I will be able to be your model one day ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final project: Ideas Generation

Above & Below: Class Practice